Skip to main content

Using Blogger in the Classroom



A New Blog

Well, this is my new blog for EDU 585, and creating it was pretty easy and straightforward. I have had another blog for many years, but it has been a while since I created one. I picked the simple template, but had to change the color. I think as time goes on I will make improvements to the layout, but I will keep it simple for now.

Blogger in the Classroom

I have never used Blogger for school or for teaching, but it seems like it would be a very useful tool in the classroom. For younger students who might not be capable of blogging, I would use the blog for a communication tool. A teacher could show parents what the class is working on, host an e-newsletter, or provide information on homework. Instructions for interactive homework assignments can be given, which increases the quality and likelihood of completion of the assignment. The blog could be used to teach parents how to support learning at home. For example, to support literacy at home, the teacher could post videos demonstrating how to read to children, or give some ideas of good children's literature and questions parents can ask their child while they are reading.

For students who are capable of blogging in upper-elementary, middle and high school, students can post drafts of work, and other students can read and post comments.  Since teaching a topic supports deeper learning, students could teach others a topic they have researched or learned, and other students can ask questions. The blog could be used as a digital portfolio to show work throughout the school year. Students could do book recommendations, or have debates online.

These ideas are just the tip of the iceberg. Blogger is a great free resource, and with a little creativity, the possibilities are endless.

Photo sources

Blog pixabay.com
Student with computer by Startup Stock Photos from Pexels


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nearpod

Nearpod is a tool for teachers to create presentations that can be shared with students in live class mode, or at student self-pace. I thought the learning curve on this was very easy, and I created a presentation pretty quickly. Nearpod Silver edition is free, and Nearpod Gold costs $12 per month. Among other differences, with Silver you can have a class of up to 30 and cannot do student self-paced mode. I created a presentation about perimeter and area of squares and rectangles. Here it is: To start a presentation, just click on Create your own lesson: Next, choose from Add Content, Add Web Content or Add Activity. There are many different options for content and activities to add. I started by adding a video. You simply insert the share address of the youtube video under Add Web Content. Next, I added an interactive simulation from content. It is an area builder game. This slide is a collaborate slide. In live mode, the students' answers are posted

Formative Assessment Using Technology

Formative assessment is an important part of instruction. It gives the teacher data on how well the students are understanding the lesson. This data can then be used by the teacher to alter instruction, and it can be used by the student to work toward mastery. There is so much technology available to teachers to make assessment easier! I decided to give Formative a try. This is a website that can be used to create many different types of assessments, and can be used with Google Classroom  and Clever . You can choose from a library of already-made assessments, or you can create your own. When creating an assessment, you can add content like videos and images. With the premium, paid subscription there are more options. There are 17 different types of assessment you can create, including reflection, lab, pre-assessment and exit-ticket. There are 11 different types of questions that can be added into the assessment. What I Made I made two different assessments. The first was a spe

Interactive Documents Using Google Slides

For this week's assignment, we had to create an interactive document using Google Slides. There were so many options that I found myself getting a little overwhelmed again. Instead of creating something completely new, I decided to follow a tutorial and then use the process I learned to make my own unique document. I began to do this tutorial on Creating an Interactive Presentation but was having some problems. I noticed that an update to the video had been posted, so I tried it again. Here is the tutorial I used: 1 The second tutorial was better, but there were still a couple of things I had to figure out. When he highlighted multiple items, he did not say how to do that (because it is basic), so I had to google it. Also, he gave instructions on how to create a "back" button to get back to the start, but it didn't work. So I just tried something different and I thought it had worked. Until I embedded the presentation in this post and tested it one last ti