Skip to main content

What I Have Learned

Image Source: Wikimedia Commons


In reading back through my blog posts over the semester, it struck me that my evolution through the semester went from creating technology projects that are teacher-directed, to finally handing the baton to students with a project that gives students the agency to create using technology. Students creating hits the highest level of Bloom’s Taxonomy. But it’s good that my work was an evolution, because we don’t always want to go straight to the highest level of Bloom’s … we want to hit different spots on the taxonomy.

Image Source: Fractus Learning


Some examples of teacher-directed activities I created at the beginning of the semester are the Interactive Documents I created here as a HyperDoc and here using Google Slides, this Prezi, and this EdPuzzle. I am proud of all of these projects, and I think they provide a variety of interesting ways to lead students to information. These activities ask questions of students to assess learning. I also reviewed technology used to assess students with Formative and Quizizz. These formative assessments asked questions that fell at the Knowledge and Comprehension Level of Bloom's Taxonomy.

At the end of the semester, I reviewed technology that students themselves can use to create a video using green screen technology, and then integrate that with another platform to publish their creation. On Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy, this falls at the Creating and Sharing levels. I would take this a step further than the geology project I used as an example, and have students create content that synthesizes what they have learned and create a new point of view or new content rather than just summarize information about rock formation.

ISTE Standards

Image Source: ISTE on Twitter

The ISTE Standards is a framework to help educators apply technology to the classroom, with seven different categories of application. One of these standards is the educator as Facilitator, helping students learn through technology. Through my projects, I have used technology as a platform for students to learn, to be in charge of their learning goals, and to design using technology. Another ISTE Standard that I have demonstrated is that of Designer, by providing for learner differentiation, by creating content that aligns with standards, and by providing a learning environment that is engaging. I have also demonstrated the standard of Collaborator, by blogging my experiences and sharing what I have learned with other educators. This is something I enjoy and will continue to do.

Growth for the Future

As a tech savvy teacher in the future, I would like to continue to use an array of technology to implement different levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. Sometimes I just need to be able to ask a quick question as an exit ticket or during a lesson to see if anyone understood what I am saying. Creative projects take time, and should be used more sparingly. I think to grow and achieve this goal for myself as a teacher working with technology, I should try to incorporate some of the middle levels of Bloom's Taxonomy (Applying, Analyzing, Evaluating) in my technology use as well.


Comments

  1. What an informative reflection you have offered here. Pointing back to each of the milestones of your course work was a good way to evidence the growth you have experienced and gave me somethings to think about as I ponder the design of the course as it was, as it is and as it might be.
    Aligning your learning to the ISTE standards will give you a foundation as well as a launching pad for your continued growth. I also have to say I love the graphics as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nearpod

Nearpod is a tool for teachers to create presentations that can be shared with students in live class mode, or at student self-pace. I thought the learning curve on this was very easy, and I created a presentation pretty quickly. Nearpod Silver edition is free, and Nearpod Gold costs $12 per month. Among other differences, with Silver you can have a class of up to 30 and cannot do student self-paced mode. I created a presentation about perimeter and area of squares and rectangles. Here it is: To start a presentation, just click on Create your own lesson: Next, choose from Add Content, Add Web Content or Add Activity. There are many different options for content and activities to add. I started by adding a video. You simply insert the share address of the youtube video under Add Web Content. Next, I added an interactive simulation from content. It is an area builder game. This slide is a collaborate slide. In live mode, the students' answers are posted

Formative Assessment Using Technology

Formative assessment is an important part of instruction. It gives the teacher data on how well the students are understanding the lesson. This data can then be used by the teacher to alter instruction, and it can be used by the student to work toward mastery. There is so much technology available to teachers to make assessment easier! I decided to give Formative a try. This is a website that can be used to create many different types of assessments, and can be used with Google Classroom  and Clever . You can choose from a library of already-made assessments, or you can create your own. When creating an assessment, you can add content like videos and images. With the premium, paid subscription there are more options. There are 17 different types of assessment you can create, including reflection, lab, pre-assessment and exit-ticket. There are 11 different types of questions that can be added into the assessment. What I Made I made two different assessments. The first was a spe

Edpuzzle

This week I chose to learn more about Edpuzzle. I chose it because teachers use video so much these days, and I like the idea of being able to add to videos in case the video I want to use doesn't have all the information I need. Edpuzzle is a service that allows teachers to edit videos to use in the class. You can crop the video, add voice over (this removes the audio track for the entire video and replaces it with your audio), add audio note (the video stops and plays a recorded message from the teacher), or add a quiz. There are three options for a quiz: open-ended questions, multiple-choice questions and comments). In any of the questions, you can add an image or a web link. Students can also use Edpuzzle. There is an option for a teacher to create a project and assign it to students. Then the students can make a video to share their learning, and it would be great to use with project-based learning. This is the video I made: This week I also decided to do a screencast