Skip to main content

Do Ink Green Screen App

This week I had plans to do an app smash (when you use two different apps together for one project) for my tech project. However, I had problems with one of the apps, so today I am just going to share one. Hopefully I can share the other app next week as part 2. 

I wanted to do a geology activity that joins real artifacts to help build students' schema, nonfiction books to help them investigate the artifacts, and technology. This is a set of three different types of rocks I have: sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic.
I also have these wonderful books. The Street Beneath My Feet by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer folds out and shows a cross-section of the earth and what is found beneath our feet. Rocks; Hard, Soft, Smooth and Rough by Natalie M. Rosinsky and Matthew John helps students identify some rocks by their characteristics. 

I made three videos to explain each of the three different types of rocks. The students can then scan an image or a QR code to trigger the video (this part is what I will hopefully share next week). This could be part of a discovery center, where students can try to identify the rocks on their own and then watch the videos to find out if they were correct and learn more about the rocks. Ideally, if I had my own class, I would have students learn about the rocks and then make their own videos explaining a type of rock and how it is made.

I used the Do Ink green screen app to make the videos, and it was really easy. With Do Ink, you can record a video that places a different image, drawing or video in the background using the green screen. If your school does not have a green screen wall yet, you can use poster board or fabric as the background. 

In the following video, kindergarten students use a simple fabric background with clothespins, and they show how easy it is to use the app. There are also tutorials on Do Ink's website.


Here is the posterboard background I used. It was much bigger than I needed and would not be practical for a classroom because it is impossible to store. But it shows what you can make with about $10.00.

Here are two of the videos I created. I would much rather have had students make these videos, but I don't have any students yet! (I created a third video, but youtube was unable to read it even though the video plays just fine.)

To create the video, just go into the Do Ink app and click on the plus sign.
Next, you click on one of the three + signs at the bottom of the screen. The first one will add the video you create. The second and third will add the background. Add the background before you record the video so you can immediately see the new background.
For a demonstration, I will use my pig (from If You Give a Pig a Pancake) on a poster board.
I added a background image by clicking on the second + sign and then choosing an image from my photo gallery. 
I have added the background image, and now I can record a video of the pig with his new background by clicking on the first + sign and then choosing Video.
When you are done, click on Save and then save it to the Camera Roll. One thing I have found frustrating about using Do Ink is that the gallery is supposed to have all of your saved videos, but I cannot figure out how to play one of those videos. I plan on learning more about Do Ink this week, along with the other app I wanted to use for this project, and let you know what I figure out.

Comments

  1. First off, I didn't know there was an app that merged others together so that was a nice tid bit of infor. Secondly, this was an awesome post. All of your videos and pictures were great and really helped explain what Do Ink is. I really liked how you showed your lesson plan, if I was your student this sounded like a really fun assignment. I had never heard of Do Ink so this was really eye opening and gave me another tool I really want to look into. Thanks for the green "screen" idea too. Great idea if the school doesn't have one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! Thanks for your nice feedback! Regarding app smashing, it isn't an actual app that merges two apps. It's really just a term for using two apps for one project. For example, with this project, I had planned on using the HP Reveal app along with the Do Ink app. With HP Reveal, you turn a photo of something into a trigger for a video. So I would hold up the HP Reveal app to a photo of a rock, and that particular photo would then trigger the HP Reveal app to play a video I linked to the photo (the video of me explaining a type of rock, that I made with the Do Ink app). Hope that makes sense.

      ~Heather

      Delete
    2. Wow! Such a great blog post! Your pictures were the perfect hook for me to keep reading because they were colorful and relatable. I loved all the detail and step-by-step instructions you put into your work. It is very clear that you put a lot of time and thought into your projects. And now I have a new app that I need to play with, Do Ink! So cool!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nearpod

Nearpod is a tool for teachers to create presentations that can be shared with students in live class mode, or at student self-pace. I thought the learning curve on this was very easy, and I created a presentation pretty quickly. Nearpod Silver edition is free, and Nearpod Gold costs $12 per month. Among other differences, with Silver you can have a class of up to 30 and cannot do student self-paced mode. I created a presentation about perimeter and area of squares and rectangles. Here it is: To start a presentation, just click on Create your own lesson: Next, choose from Add Content, Add Web Content or Add Activity. There are many different options for content and activities to add. I started by adding a video. You simply insert the share address of the youtube video under Add Web Content. Next, I added an interactive simulation from content. It is an area builder game. This slide is a collaborate slide. In live mode, the students' answers are posted

Formative Assessment Using Technology

Formative assessment is an important part of instruction. It gives the teacher data on how well the students are understanding the lesson. This data can then be used by the teacher to alter instruction, and it can be used by the student to work toward mastery. There is so much technology available to teachers to make assessment easier! I decided to give Formative a try. This is a website that can be used to create many different types of assessments, and can be used with Google Classroom  and Clever . You can choose from a library of already-made assessments, or you can create your own. When creating an assessment, you can add content like videos and images. With the premium, paid subscription there are more options. There are 17 different types of assessment you can create, including reflection, lab, pre-assessment and exit-ticket. There are 11 different types of questions that can be added into the assessment. What I Made I made two different assessments. The first was a spe

Edpuzzle

This week I chose to learn more about Edpuzzle. I chose it because teachers use video so much these days, and I like the idea of being able to add to videos in case the video I want to use doesn't have all the information I need. Edpuzzle is a service that allows teachers to edit videos to use in the class. You can crop the video, add voice over (this removes the audio track for the entire video and replaces it with your audio), add audio note (the video stops and plays a recorded message from the teacher), or add a quiz. There are three options for a quiz: open-ended questions, multiple-choice questions and comments). In any of the questions, you can add an image or a web link. Students can also use Edpuzzle. There is an option for a teacher to create a project and assign it to students. Then the students can make a video to share their learning, and it would be great to use with project-based learning. This is the video I made: This week I also decided to do a screencast